Computer Accounts Management
At Bradley University, your BUnetID is your user name that uniquely identifies you to campus systems. Your BUnetID provides access to network resources such electronic mail, Webster, Library services, etc. Your BUnetID is usually the first letter of your first name and your last name (i.e. Jimmy Jones' BUnetID may be jjones).
Below are some common questions and answers regarding your BUnetID and password. Click the question to view the answer.
Bradley University is striving to make your computer account management as simple as possible. We have developed an online process to activate and manage your BUnetID account.
You will receive an account activation letter with your BUnetID (user name) and activation code. If you do not receive an account activation letter, or cannot find it, you can go to Morgan Hall 205 and request a letter. You will be required to provide a government-issued picture ID.
Simply go to http://newaccounts.bradley.edu to set up your account. During this process you will be asked to choose a password and answer two (2) "secret questions". In the future, you will be required to answer your secret questions to reset your password online if you forget it.
Change your BUnetID password on MyBU:
- Log into MyBU
- Use the Change Password channel.
When you initially set up your password, you should have selected some secret questions and provided answers to them. Provide your BUnetID and answer the questions to reset your password.
To do this go to MyBU and click on the link "Reset a forgotten password" on the left under the Password Help channel.
If you do not remember your password and do not know the answers to your secret questions:
- On Campus: Go to Morgan Hall 205 with your government-issued photo ID and complete a Request for EIA/BUnetID letter to reset your password and set up your secret questions.
- Off Campus: If you cannot come to campus to complete the request, you can call the Technology HelpDesk and a letter can be sent to your address of record.
- If you need assistance or do not know your BUnetID, contact the Technology HelpDesk at (309) 677-2964.
In order to protect your accounts, you will be required to change your password every 91 days. You will be notified via electronic mail that your account password will expire and will be provided with instructions to make the change.
- must be different than previous four passwords
- must include at least one number and one letter
- must be a minimum of 8 characters
- must not include your BUnetID
- must not include a tilde (~)
Changing your password while on campus while connected to the network via an Ethernet cable is the recommended method.
Changing your password while connected to systems that require authentication (particularly secure wireless) can lead to complications. If you are connected while changing your password, your wireless network connection may cease to function due to the fact that your login credentials have changed.
We recommend that Windows users log out and back into their machines immediately after changing their passwords.
To protect your information and the University's systems, it is important that all user accounts (logins) have adequate password protection. Good password practices include creating sufficiently complex passwords and changing them on a regular basis.
Following are useful guidelines to assist your in effectively managing your account passwords.
- Passwords are case-sensitive.
- Do not use any part of your name, BUnetID or "Bradley University" as part of your password.
- Do not use your birthday, social security number, driver's license number, etc. as part of your password.
- The same character should not be repeated more than twice.
- Do not use words found in a dictionary, even if they are spelled backwards or have a number added at the end. Many password cracking programs use a dictionary as a foundation for possible combinations, then add numbers to the end of a word to try to determine the password. Note: using the symbols suggested above in a dictionary word is not secure because many password cracking programs automatically check for such substitutions. Also, do not use names of people, pets, streets, etc.
- Some possibilities for choosing a password include:
Using the first letter of each word in your favorite phrase, song title, book or list of names. For example:
"A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss" = arsgnm. Add number(s) and/or symbol(s) and add a letter substitution: ar$gn0m.
"Lydia, Tobias, Laura, Moss, Bradley"=ltlmb. Add number(s) and/or symbols plus number for letter substitutions: 1t1(mb).
- It is not recommended to allow your web browser or mail client to store your password.
Bradley University Signin Service is a login service that allows you to access multiple password-protected web systems (such as B-Mail and Sakai) after logging in once on a central authentication server. You will be automatically redirected to the signin service login screen when you access one of the supported systems, unless you have already authenticated during your session. If you are done using a web system and log out, you will be taken to the signin service screen where you can go back to the web system you were using without having to enter your credentials again, or you can click the link to fully log out of the authentication service.
The only email request that you will receive from Bradley email administrators will be a notification that your BUnetID password is about to expire, and you will be provided with instructions to change it.
If you have responded to any requests for your password, you should log in to MyBU immediately and change it, or contact the HelpDesk at (309) 677-2964 for assistance.
- Log into MyBU
- Click the My Info page
- Go to the Change Password channel. Here you will see your BUnetID password status which shows last changed date and expiration date. You can change your password at any time. You will also receive an email notification that your password will soon expire every day for seven days prior to your password expiration.
If you have more than one device with your BUnetID and password set up to check email or to use BUsecure and you change your password, it is possible that one of the other devices will continue to attempt to connect using your previous password. This can lead to a temporary lockout of your account. Please be aware when changing your password of any other devices including mobile devices that you commonly use and change the password on those as well.
Click the Apple at the upper left of your menu bar and choose System Preferences. Click Network. Highlight AirPort (at left) and click the Advanced button. With the AirPort tab highlighted, double click BUsecure in the list. If credentials are filled out there, confirm your BUnetID, clear out and enter your new password, then click Save. If not, click Cancel.
From the same location (Network, highlight AirPort at left and click the Advanced button) click the 802.1X tab. Highlight the User Profile for BUsecure. If credentials are filled out there, confirm your BUnetID, clear out and enter your new password, then click OK.
If it has been several weeks since you changed your password, it is possible it could expire while you are away. You can check when your current password will expire by logging into MyBU and viewing password status in the Change Password channel on the My Info page.
It is not a bad idea to change your password a few days before you leave campus. This will give you time to become accustomed to the new one and possibly avoid password expiration while you are away.
If you are using a VPN client with Windows to connect from off campus and change your password, the cached password on the laptop or desktop does not change.
After changing your password, press CTRL-ALT-DEL to lock the computer, then unlock the computer with your new password. This will enable you to stay connected and will change the cached credentials.
The recommended method for changing your BUnetID password in by using the Change Password channel in MyBU.
Your B-Mail account is hosted by Google. If you log in the recommended way, using a web browser, this mail system uses your BUnetID username and password.
Mail clients (Outlook, Entourage, Mail) configured with POP/IMAP use your BUnetID username and Google password. If you change your BUnetID password and have it saved in your mail client, you will need to change the password in your mail client (unless you deselect the option to also change your B-Mail password when changing your password).
If you have questions or problems, contact the Technology HelpDesk at (309) 677-2964.